Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Book Review: Graceling

Title: Graceling
Author: Kristin Cashore
What's it about?
In a world where some people are born with extreme and often-feared skills called Graces, Katsa struggles for redemption from her own horrifying Grace, the Grace of killing, and teams up with another young fighter to save their land from a corrupt king.

Why I picked it Up?
I've heard really great things about this book and the second book in this series, Fire, is a YALSA Top-10 winner for 2010 which made this a must-read.

Why I kept reading it?
This book has everything I love. There's action, adventure, a little romance, a king, a court, and a really tough female lead. It was well written, interesting and totally unlike anything else I've read recently. Even though this is a fantasy novel, it's based so realistic in its telling that I often forgot I was reading fantasy. My favorite thing though was Katsa, the main character. She's tough, smart, and just wants to do the right thing. Once she claimed her freedom from her horrible uncle, she kept a strong hold on it, even refusing to marry the man she loved because she feared giving up that part of herself. It was a refreshing departure from a world saturated with female characters sacrificing themselves for their romantic partners (I love that stuff too, Graceling was just a nice change of pace).

This book is definitely on my "must read" list.


Review by: Megan

Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment